Thursday 15 September 2011

Genre Characteristics of R'n'B

After trying to research what characteristics consistantly appear in R&B Music Videos, I didn't find any information so i decided to research myself. After watching many music videos which fall under the category of R&B, I created my own list of common techniques conventions.

  • A Running Narrative of a love/heartbreak story
  • Close-ups of Females- A lot of Objectification
  • Extreme Close-ups in general
  • Women Dressed revealingly
  •  Some form of Performance/Miming
  • A Male actor in female artist videos
  • A Female actress in Male artist videos
  • Expression of Rich and Poor- Usually jewelry/money
  • Hand held camerawork
  • Slow Motion scenes- (Emphasis on artist usually)
  • Glamourous costumes
  • Lots of Pans over the artist/Narrative
  • A Solid dance routine throughout/featured in the video
  • Contrasting lighting tones- either warm colours signifying love, or cold colours.
  • 'Backstreet' Scenes especially  in Hip-hop style R&B
  • An expression of Race- usually involving black/half cast actors

After reviewing my list of common traits found within R&B music videos, it will definitely help me add codes and characteristics to my own music video to make it more realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment