Monday 10 October 2011

Costumes!

For my music video, it is crucial that I source some good outfits to fit with the genre of RnB to make the music video look more believable. After viewing many RnB music videos for inspiration for costumes, I have come up with my four costumes that I wish to use.To get the costumes for my music video, we took a trip to the local Primark to see what we could find for a cheap price. Although we didn't manage to get everything i needed, I did find a lot of exactly what i needed to get good RnB styled costumes.

Costume 1
This looks was inspired by Ciara in her music video "Promise". I decided to take inspiration from this costume because I also plan to take inspiration from the dance routine when she is wearing this costume and it also fits very well with the more HipHop side of RnB.

For this costume I needed:
-Large Hoodie
-Baggy Trousers/Jogging Bottoms

I managed to source the Hoodie from Primark, and bought the XXL Size as in the screen shot of Ciara's video, the hoodie looks very baggy. The trousers i could not find in Primark, however my friend had a pair of harem pants which she was willing to lend us. I Believe that I have done well to get a very similar outfit, although it was quite a plain outfit!

Alice in my Costume to the left, Ciara from her video 'Promise' On the Right.       
Costume 2
The second costume I wished to re-create was the look in Nicole Scherzinger's 'Wet' where she wears a leather looking jacket with a hood and lots of accessories. I chose the costume because in a lot of RnB music videos, there is a lot of 'Glam' scenes contrasting with 'backstreet' scenes. I decided I liked this look for the more backstreet styled scene.


For this costume I needed:
-A leather jacket
-Big sunglasses
-Large hoop earrings
-High waisted Skinny jeans

Although this costume does not include any trousers, I felt that my look would work better with some trousers. I can also use the same skinny jeans in costume 4.The leather jacket I was able to get from Primark as well as the hoop earrings and the skinny jeans. The sunglasses Alice (my actress) already had from her own possessions. I also added some bangles to this look as I already had them from Costume 4.
Nicole in her music video 'Wet' to the left, and Alice in the right picture.
Costume 3
Costume 3's idea was taken from Alexandra Burke's 'Bad boys' as well as Jennifer Lopez' 'I'm into you'. The sparkly party dress is going to be my main outfit, and probably be shown throughout the chorus of the song. I chose the outfit to inspire from because i felt it symbolised the party glam theme that runs throughout RnB well.


For this costume I needed:
-A Glamourous party dress
-High heels
-Wrist Bangles

The party dress was the hardest thing for us to find. We searched all through Primark unsuccessfully finding a dress suitable. We then went to other shops such as New Look, Debenhams and River Island, however we were still unsuccessful with finding the perfect dress for this scene. After our failure to find the perfect dress, we decided to ask our friends to see if they had a dress we could borrow to fit the style or similar to the dress shown in Alexandra Burke's video, and our friend managed to find a dress for us! The heels were Alice's own, and they were also used throughout costume 4. The bangles were from primark, our bargain of £1.50 for all of them!
Alexandra Burke 'Bad boys' Video to the left,  Alice to the right.
Costume 4
Finally, costume 4 was also taken from Ciara's music video 'Promise' where she wears high waisted skinny jeans, with a cropped white/cream t-shirt and heels. I chose this costume because I think it symbolises the sexy look of RnB that is in the majority of the female artist videos.


For this costume I needed:
-A Cropped White t-shirt
-High heels
-Wrist Bangles
-High Waisted Skinny Jeans
-Hooped Earrings
-Gold Necklace chain

Alice managed to find her own cropped white t-shirt to use which was helpful. The high heels were also Alice's own. The wrist bangles were the same as the other costumes, all from Primark as well as the Skinny Jeans, Hooped Earrings and Necklace. I think that this is my favourite outfit, purely because we managed to get the look very similar to Ciara's, and I think it suits the genre very well.
Ciara 'Promise' in the left picture, Alice in the right.
As for Georges outfit, I'm hoping George is going to wear black trousers, fairly plain, and a white t-shirt. Although I haven't found a good example to back up my style choice, i'm confident that it won't matter too much as the male actor scenes will only be short, and cut up and mixed in with the four female scenes.
Now I have chosen my four outfits for Alice as well as my four locations, I can now begin to schedule filming dates!

No comments:

Post a Comment